EJ Vazquez record personal-best times and set Fort Stockton High School records in winning both the 50- and 100-freestyle events at the 5A-District 4 swim meet, held at Andrews on Jan. 17-18.
Overall, the Panthers took fifth and the Prowlers fourth at the meet, which featured Abilene Cooper, Abilene Wylie, Andrews, Big Spring, Greenwood, Monahans, Pecos, and Seminole.
Fort Stockton advanced all six of its relay teams (see names below) to the 5A-Region 1 Meet in Lubbock on Jan. 30 and Feb 1. Individuals advancing were: Vazquez in the 50 and 100; Yajaira Fortson in the 50 and 100; Leslie Esquivel in the 100-breast stroke and diving; and Anthony Gomez in diving.
Vazquez also was named the district swimmer of the year.
Other top finishers for the Blue Wave included:
• Anthony Gomez, 2nd in diving.
• The girls 200-freestyle relay team of Yazmin Reyes, Leslie Esquivel, Arissa Jimenez, and Yajaira Fortson, taking 3rd. The same swimmers combined to take 4th in the 200-medley.
• Leslie Esquivel, 4th 100-breast stroke, 5th diving
• Yajaira Fortson, 5th in 50-freestyle, and 6th in the 100-freestyle.
• The girls 400-freestyle relay team of Yazmin Reyes, Arissa Jimenez, Ashlyn Foster, and Aria Rojas, took 5th.
• The boys 200-medley relay team of Salvador Rodriguez, EJ Vazquez, Quaylon Rios, Andrew Rangel, took 6th.
• The boys 200-freestyle relay team of Andrew Rangel, Quaylon Rios, Eric Gonzalez, Andre Vargas, took 6th.
• The boys 400-freestyle relay team of Salvador Rodriguez, EJ Vazquez, Quaylon Rios, and Eric Gonzalez, took 6th.
The Panthers took 2nd, while the Prowlers took 3rd in the junior varsity district meet.
Whitney Tarin took second in both the 100 butterfly and 500 freestyle.
For the boys, Jason Oldencamp took 1st in the 50-freestyle, followed by Connor Miller (2nd), Aiden Cantu (3rd) and Joe Rayos (4th); JC Napay took 4th in the 200-individual medley; Aiden Cantu took 2nd in the 100-freestyle and Joe Rayos took 4th; the 200-freestyle relay team of Conner Miller, Aiden Cantu, Jason Oldencamp, and JC Napay, took 2nd; Conner Miller took 3rd in the 100-backstroke; and, in the 100-breast stroke, JC Napay took 2nd and Jason Oldencamp took 3rd.