The Fort Stockton City Council will interview two candidates for the city's vacant City Attorney position at its regular meeting on Wednesday, Sept. 11.
Two candidates are listed for interviews: Adrian Valadez and Puja Boinpally.
The council could make a selection once it reconvenes in open session.
In its Sept. 5 print edition, The Pioneer reported that two applications were received for the position: Albert Valadez, Jr. and Puja Boinpally. This names were provided to The Pioneer by City Secretary Delma Gonzalez in response to an open records request from the Pioneer. The report was part of a story that reported Valadez Jr.'s arrest for DWI on Aug. 18.
Albert Valadez withdrew his application, according to Rodriguez.
Albert and Adrian are a father-son team at Valadez Law Firm. Having one attorney at a firm representing the city would legally preclude another attorney at the firm from representing a party in an action against the city.
When asked via e-mail if the law firm itself or if Adrian Valadez specifically is applying for the position, City Manager Frank Rodriguez said:
"This is unique, I am not sure how this will work. Technically I believe it will be based off of how the RFQ was written for the city attorney position. The body of council will have to determine who the best applicant is and make a decision.
"Due to ethical potential violations from attorney representation from one client to the next, I am sure there are laws that govern the question you posed that would prevent that type of representation."
Among the other items on the agenda is the approval of the 2019-2020 budget.
Here's the complete agenda for the meeting:
CALL MEETING TO ORDER AFTER DECLARING A QUORUM PRESENT.
ALLEGIANCE TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA FLAG ALLEGIANCE TO THE TEXAS FLAG
MISSION STATEMENT: “The Mission of the City of Fort Stockton Municipal Government is to Promote & Value Public Confidence and Trust by the Accountable and Responsible Use of Community Resources; to Ensure Public Safety; Improve Public Services; Promote Local Recreation and Entertainment; and Generate Economic Development.
COMMENTS FROM THE AUDIENCE ON CONSENT & REGULAR AGENDA ITEMS:
1. Regarding Application request from Property Owners Manuel & Isidra Lopez to Consider a Specific-Use Permit for the Placement of a Manufactured Mobile Home in a Single Family-4 (SF-4) Residential Dwelling District located on Lot Twelve (12), Block Ninety-One (91), Orient Addition, Fort Stockton, Pecos County, Texas, & more particularly described as being on the Corner Lot &/Or Adjacent to Park Street and Seventh Street; This being in accordance with Section 7(1), 7(2) & 7(16) of the Zoning Ordinance. (Mayor)
2. All matters listed are considered to be routine by the City Council and will be enacted by one motion. If discussion is desired, that item will be removed from the Consent Agenda and considered separately.” Minutes: (Mayor)
▪ Special Meeting Minutes of Fort Stockton City Council, 08/29/2019
▪ Regular Meeting Minutes of Fort Stockton City Council, 08/27/2019
▪ Regular Meeting Minutes of Planning & Zoning Commission, 08/28/2019
Citizens who desire to address City Council with regard to matters on the Consent Agenda or Regular Agenda will be received when the item is to be considered. Discussion by City Council Members will only take place when an agenda item is scheduled for consideration. Prior to making comments, each speaker will be required to provide his/her name and residential address. Speakers will be limited to 3 minutes. Speakers making personal, impertinent, profane or slanderous remarks will be removed from the
Council Chamber and will be barred from re-entering the room during the meeting.
▪Regular Meeting Minutes of Keep Historic F.S. Beautiful, 08/07/2019
▪ Regular Meeting Minutes of Substandard Building Committee, 06/06/2019
▪ Regular Meeting Minutes of Fort Stockton Housing Authority Board, 05/15/2019
Accounts Payable Total: $688,362.06
3. Discuss/Act upon Ordinance No. 19-116, Approving the Plat for All of Block 47, St. Gall Addition, Fort Stockton, Pecos County, Texas, to contain Lot 1, Lot 2, Lot 3, Lot, 4; As requested by Property Owners Yadira & Jose Renteria & Providing for an effective date provision. (Mayor)
4. Discuss/Act upon Ordinance No. 19-117, Allowing for the Placement of a Manufactured Mobile Home by Specific-Use Permit in a Single Family-4 (SF-4) Residential Dwelling District; Located on Lot Twelve (12), Block Ninety-One (91), Orient Addition, Fort Stockton, Pecos County, Texas, & More Particularly described as being on the Corner &/or Adjacent to Park Street and Seventh Street; This being in accordance with Section 7(1), 7(2) & 7(16) of the Zoning Ordinance & Providing for an Effective Date Provision; as Requested by Property Owners Manuel & Isidra Lopez. (Mayor)
5. Discuss/Act Upon Ordinance No. 19-120, Approving and Adopting the City of Fort Stockton, Texas, Budget for the Fiscal Year 2019-2020; Making Appropriations for the City for said Fiscal Year as Reflected in said Budget; And making Certain Findings and Containing Certain Provisions Relating to the Subject. (Mayor)
6. Discuss/Act Upon Ordinance No. 19-121, Levying Taxes for the Use and Support of the Municipal Government of the City of Fort Stockton, Pecos County, Texas; Providing for the Interest and Sinking Fund & Apportioning Each Levy for a Specific Purpose for Fiscal Year 2019-2020 & Providing for Approval of Ordinance. (Mayor)
7. Discuss/Act upon Interlocal Cooperation Contract for the Failure to Appear Program with the Texas Department of Public Safety. (City Mgr.)
8. Discuss/Act upon Solicitation of Request for Proposals (RFP) for the Repair & Rehabilitation of Officers’ Quarters #7. (City Mgr.)
9. Discuss/Act upon Pay Application No. 9 from Nelson Lewis for the 30-Inch Water Transmission Line which includes the Change Order for the 18-Inch Well Field Waterline, signed by the Contractor and Engineer. Current payment due is 99,714.11. (City Mgr.)
10. Discuss/Act upon Consent to Encroachment and Crossing Agreement between the City of Fort Stockton and KCE TX 9, LLC for T.& ST.L. RR. Survey, Abstract No. 5650, Pecos County, Texas. (City Mgr.)
11. Discuss/Act upon Lease Agreement between the City of Fort Stockton and Rayburn Durham for Approximately 274 Acres of land located on the West Half of Section 71, (W/2 of 71), Block Three (3), T&P Ry. Co. Original Grantee, Pecos County, Texas. (City Mgr.)
12. Discuss/Act upon Custodial Service Agreement between the City of Fort Stockton and Elfida Morales for Fort Stockton City Hall & Annex Building from 2019-2020. (City Mgr.)
13. Discuss/Act upon Custodial Service Agreement between the City of Fort Stockton and Emma Sanchez for the Fort Stockton Police Department from 2019-2020. (City Mgr.)
14. Discuss/Act upon Appointment of New Member to the Fort Stockton Housing Authority Board due to the Resignation of Laura Lannom. Applicants: Guadalupe Fierro, Silvano Fuentez, Harry Gandhi, Ruben Gonzales, David Neyland, Mike Stallard (Mayor)
15. City Council May Convene in Closed Session in Accordance with the Texas Open Meetings Act, Texas Government Code, Concerning Attorney-Client Matters (§551.071); Deliberation regarding Real Property (§551.072); Deliberation regarding Prospective Gifts (§551.073); Personnel Matters (§551.074); and/or Deliberation regarding Security Devices (§551.076):
(a) Contract City Attorney Interviews: (a) Puja Boinpally (b) Adrian A. Valadez (b) Annual Evaluation: City Secretary Delma A. Gonzalez
16. Reconvene into Open Session Pursuant to Texas Government Code Section §551.102 & Take Action, if any, on Matters Deliberated in Executive Session:
15(a) Discuss/Act upon Employment of Contract City Attorney.
15(b) Discuss/Act upon Annual Evaluation of City Secretary Delma A. Gonzalez
17. Questions from the Media on Agenda Items. (Mayor)
18. Adjourn. (Mayor)