The Fort Stockton High School girls basketball team defeated McCamey and Sonora, while losing to Coahoma and El Paso Jefferson at the Mary Tatum Holiday Classic held Dec. 27-28 in Big Lake.
The Prowlers, who played at 4A Big Spring on Dec. 30 in a game that finished after The Pioneer's deadline, have one final non-district game at 4A Greenwood on Tuesday, Jan 7, before opening 4A District 1 play Tuesday, Jan. 14 at home against Seminole.
At the Tatum tournament, Prowlers opened against 3A Coahoma, dropping a 68-61 decision. Katie Salmon scored a team-high 23 points, while Rebecca Rodriguez (14) and Jocelyn Lujan (11) also finished in double digits.
The team rebounded to defeat 2A McCamey, 47-26. Salmon paced the team with eight points. Kylie Ruiz moved to the post and finished with seven points, while freshman Eliana Mata and senior Alyana Dominguez added six each.
The Prowlers opened Day 2 by rallying to beat 3A Sonora 39-37 in what proved to be the first of two two-point games on the day.
The team was down by four points to Sonora when Rodriguez hit a three-pointer. On Sonora's inbound, Lujan stole the ball and scored to put the Prowlers up one. Sonora hit two free throws to reclaim the lead, only to see Lujan drill what proved to be the game-winning three. The five points were Lujan's only points of the game.
Salmon finished with 10 points, Ruiz with six, and five each from Rodriguez, Dominguez, Lujan, and Alexis Holmquist.
In their final game against 5A Jefferson, the Prowlers rallied from a 30-17 deficit entering the final period before losing 32-30. Salmon finished with 13 points, and Rodriguez with six.
Fort Stockton Varsity
• Nov. 12: def. Alpine 50-39
• Nov. 16: lost to Denver City 52-28
• Nov. 19: def. Lakeview 52-13
• Nov. 22: def. Rankin 59-56
• Nov. 25: def. Presidio 44-33
• Dec. 3: lost to Odessa 48-45
• Dec. 5-7: @ O.W. Follis Tournament, Lamesa: lost to Brownfield 70-23; lost to Dumas 78-35; def. Stanton 47-35; lost to Lamesa 36-26
• Dec. 10: lost to Midland Christian 41-40
• Dec. 12-14: @ El Ave Tournament, Crane: def. Midland Christian 48-42; def. McCamey 46-17; lost to Coahoma 49-39; def. Odessa JV 67-21.
• Dec. 17: lost to Lamesa 52-48
• Dec. 20: lost to Snyder 58-27
• Dec. 27-28: @ Mary Tatum Holiday Classic Tournament: lost to Coahoma 68-61; def. McCamey 47-26; def. Sonora 39-37; lost to Jefferson 32-30.
• Dec. 30: @ Big Spring, 12:15 p.m.
• Jan. 7: @ Greenwood, 6 p.m.
• Jan. 14: @ Seminole, 6 p.m.*
• Jan. 17: @ Pecos, SEC, 6 p.m.*
• Jan. 21: @ Andrews, 6 p.m.*
• Jan. 24: @ Monahans, SEC, 6 p.m.*
• Jan. 28: vs. Rankin, 5:30 p.m.
• Jan. 31: @ Seminole, SEC, 6 p.m.*
• Feb. 4: @ Pecos, 6 p.m.*
• Feb. 7: @ Andrews, SEC, 6 p.m.* **
• Feb. 11: @ Monahans, 6 p.m.*