The Rollins-Sibley House is a one-story, Victorian style adobe home located near the parade grounds in Historic Fort Stockton, Texas. Dan and Mary Rollins and their sons, Charles, Clinton, and Fred moved to Fort Stockton from Paris, TX in 1905 because the family fell in love with Comanche Springs.
The Rollins purchased ten acres of land just above the springs and built the adobe home on the foundation of the old fort hospital. The Rollins lived in the old guard house on the parade grounds while the home was being built. The Rollins ranched north of Fort Stockton.
Dr. Sibley, Sr. and his wife Effie Potts Sibley purchased the adobe home and parade grounds, including the guard house, from the Rollins in 1919 when they moved to Fort Stockton from Liberty Hill, TX by way of El Paso. Dr. Sibley partnered with is father-in-law, J.W. Potts, in several business ventures in Fort Stockton.
Together, they purchased several ranches and the old Stockton Hotel. Effie ran the Stockton Hotel and Dr. Sibley practiced dentistry on the first floor. They had one child, D.J. Sibley, Jr, who later became a doctor and practiced medicine in Fort Stockton after serving as a surgeon in World War II. From the 1920s through the 1940s, the Sibley family lived in the Stockton Hotel and the Rollins-Sibley house was let to Judge Sullivan and his family.
During WWII, the government took over the Rollins-Sibley House and converted it into three apartments, which were rented to locals associated with the air base. In 1950, Dr. Sibley Jr. married Fort Stockton native Jane Dunn and they moved into the Rollins-Sibley House. A trained artist, Jane Sibley oversaw the restoration of the home which included new plaster, new plumbing, new electrical, a new roof, new porches, a new kitchen and even new air conditioning units installed above the windows!
Dr. and Mrs. Sibley reared three children in that home: Dunn Jacobi “Jake” Sibley (1950 – 1991), Mahala Sibley (1952 – 2003), and Hiram Sibley (1957 – ). Both Dr. and Mrs. Sibley were avid historians and dedicated their time to the preservation of local history. After the Sibleys moved to Austin in 1960s, the Rollins-Sibley house was donated to Pecos Country for public use. The Sibleys donated the parade grounds and old guard house to the City of Fort Stockton.